USES AND PROPERTIES!
And only the aroma of Chios mastic travels us and refreshes us! Chios natural mastic, the "tear" of the mastic tree, which is a unique product, unique both for its place and method of production as well as for its properties and multiple applications.
Gum is called the aromatic natural resin that is extracted from the trunk and branches of the mastic tree and specifically of the Mastic Schino, which is cultivated extensively in Chios, mainly in the south of the island in 24 Mastic villages.
Chios mastic comes from the trunk and branches of the mastic tree, our well-known Schino or Schinos. Its original taste is bitter, but it leaves quickly leaving the special aroma of mastic.
The secret in the formation of the resin from which Chios mastic is produced is hidden mainly in the microclimate of the southern part of the island, with mild winters, dry summers, minimal rainfall and constant winds, combined with the rich limestone subsoil. These allow the sensitive resin to crystallize very quickly, falling from the tree.
The most important villages in the south of Chios where mastic is produced are: Lithi, Vessa, Fir, Mesta, Olympi, Pyrgi, Armolia, Kalamoti, Patrika, Flatsia, Nenita, Mountain, Common, Trap, Waterfall, Outdoor Twin, Inner Twin, Mermigi, Tholopotami, Kaligavio, Ne Συκουσης.
The exact composition of Chios mastic is not yet known. A general estimate shows that mastic and mastic oil contain at least 70 substances which exhibit numerous properties.
Used in food, medicine and industry. For Friday ouzo and mastic liqueur, of traditional chewing gum, flavors our favorite dessert "submarine". It is used in a large number of sweets, candies, ice creams as well as in Turkish delights. It is used in the bakery in recipes for bread, rusks and cookies. In the traditional Greek cafe. In shampoos, face creams, lotions, toothpastes.
Therapeutic properties and uses:
Mastic is considered an excellent medicine for stomach problems.
- Reduces it feeling of hunger. How; We chew mastic 1 to 2 hours after our lunch. Not only will we be less hungry but we will also have a significantly reduced desire for sweets.
- Fights its symptoms Helicobacter pylori, which is responsible for peptic ulcers. Chios mastic in capsules has shown antimicrobial properties against Helicobacter pylori.
* What is Helicobacter pylori? Helicobacter pylori is a common stomach bacterium that in some people can cause upper abdominal pain, bloating, nausea or vomiting. It is located in the stomach or duodenum, that is, the first part of a person's small intestine. About half of adult Greeks have Helicobacter pylori infection, but have no symptoms and therefore most are unaware of its existence.
- Helps reduce inflammation in patients with mild to moderate activity Crohn's disease, chronic inflammatory digestive tract disease which can affect any part of it, from the mouth to the rectum, after the administration of Chios mastic powder in the form of capsules for four weeks.
- To tackle diarrhea.
- As good source of zinc considered natural stimulant of male sexuality. Zinc deficiency has been linked to sexual function and low levels have been linked to low testosterone levels.
- Helps in maintaining teeth whitening and fighting caries, due to its antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory and anti-tertonic action. Chewing Chios mastic for 20 minutes after a meal enhances the re-calcification of the enamel, possibly by increasing the flow of saliva. It is suitable for preparation toothpaste offers clean breath and releases excess moisture from the mouth.
The addition of natural Chios mastic to toothpastes, toothpastes and mouthwashes strengthens the immune system of the tissues between the teeth and gums, thus acting against plaque formation and other periodontal diseases.
- Fights fungal oral infections, ie stomatitis.
- Presents protective action on the heart and blood vessels, reduces the levels of total cholesterol, LDL-bad cholesterol, lipoprotein α, while universally protecting LDL cholesterol from oxidation responsible for the formation of atherosclerotic plaque in blood vessels, which is caused by hypertension and sedentary life. Even the saliva from chewing Chios mastic has been shown to help inhibit the oxidation of "bad" cholesterol.
- It can fight a lot pathogenic bacteria For example, Escherichia Coli, Bacillus subtilis, Staphylococcus aureus, Porphyromonas gingivalis, but also fungi such as various strains of Candida.
The effects of mastic on skin care.
The first reports on the healing and cosmetic properties of Chios mastic were made by Hippocrates. They continue in the following centuries by doctors, pharmacists and herbalists. Dioskouridis, Oreivasio, Aetios Galinos, Clay. The recipe for face cream and serum with Chios Mastic and Kozani Crocus, was recorded by the personal physician of Emperor Justinian. While already from the 4th AD. century mastic served as a sunscreen and protected from burns that could be caused by sun exposure.
Face and body:
- Helps in skin regeneration.
- The mastic water is ideal for use as a moisturizing and toning lotion.
- The distilled water with the addition of mastic, we can use it to spray our face or body, as a lotion, in creams etc. It is ideal for cleansing, hydrating and caring for our skin.
- Cosmetic and perfume companies use mastic oil. As an essential oil, in the preparation of perfumes and face creams, as it restores collagen structures and skin elasticity. Reduces its aging time.